Re: Bios - No access

On Monday 14 October 2002 00:43, Steven Rubenstein wrote:
> Well, I finally understand what you're saying. How about the "F10"
> button's gone bad? How about discharging the CMOS for 30 secs. or so (by
> popping the battery if need be?...)

This is a Compaq PC which, in Compaq's infinite wisdom, has the grossly
over-complicated GUI BIOS configuration on a special hard disk partition.
This is accessed by pressing the F10 key at boot time  This is okay if you
know about it and only install Windoze or other proprietory software, but it
seems installing Red Hat Linux has stopped this partition from being
accessed. If this is the case, there is no way to configure the BIOS, except
by using Compaq's software on a floppy or by re-installing the software from
the floppy on to the special hard disk partition.

Regards,
Malcolm
--
KDE Proof-Reading Team