Re: Hyper Threaded Pentium 4

Robert L. Cochran wrote:

> I think a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 will be coming out later this year which
> will feature Hyper Threading. The definition of Hyper Threading that
> I've read in Maximum PC, November 2002, p.14 is:
>
> "...The technology helps a compatible OS utilize CPU resources more
> effectively by splitting the chip into two virtual processors running
> in parrallel. The two virtual CPUs can then execute separate
> instruction threads simultaneously."
>
> Can Red Hat Linux utilize this feature?

   Red Hat has support this since one of the 7.2 kernel updates.  This
is old hat on the current crop of Xeon (aka P4 Xeon).  Linux treats them
as multiple cpus. Don't assume that this will make your system faster.
 If you tend to only one process active at a time then it will slow
things down.  It's also really bad if you are cpu cache bound.