Re: Documentation Problem

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:04:12AM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Below is a section from page 27 in the Customization Guide::
> "With LVM, the hard drive or set of hard drives is allocated to one or
> more physical volumes. A physical volume can not span over more than
> one drive."
>
> Question:  How can a set of hard drives be allocated to one or more physical
> volumes if A physical volume can not span over more than one drive?

You can have more than one physical volume per hard drive. Thus, a set
of hard drives (let's say 2 hard drives) can be allocated to one or
more physical volumes (if you have 2 drives, it can be allocated to
more than one PV). Does that make better sense?

If you break down the sentence, "hard drive" goes with "one physical
volume" and "set of hard drives" goes with "more physical volumes."

> Since a physical volume can not span over more than one drive, if you
> want the logical volume group to span over more than one drive
> you must create one or more physical volumes per drive.
>
> Question: Since physical volumes are combined into logical volume
> groups and a physical volume can take up a drive why is it necessary
> to create one or more physical volumes per drive in order to have a
> logical volume group to span over more than one drive?

It is necessary to have one more PVs per drive because you have to
make LVGs from PVs. Are you asking why you have to have more than one
PV per drive? The answer to that question is that you don't.  The
sentence says that you must create one OR more, meaning that one is
enough but you can create more per drive.

> The above makes no sense to me but if it makes sense to others let me
> know. I am cc-ing Tammy Fox since she is our documentation guru.

I hope this explanation helps you understand.

Tammy