Re: latitude suspend

On 13 Oct 2002, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 05:16, listman@depfyffer.com wrote:
> > has any one been successful at getting x to come back up after going to
> > suspend/sleep mode. I don't have a problem hitting ctl+alt+F1 but it would
> > be nice to just close the thing.
> >

> On my Latitude L400 the standby (Fn+Suspend) works fully
>
> The Suspend/Hibernat (Fn+A) doesn't doesn't work at all.

To enable the apm suspend-to-disk function (Fn+A), you need to prepare a
special partition on your hard disk using a (Windows-only, IIRC) utility
available from Dell.  Look for "suspend to disk" in the Dell Knowledge
Base for more information.

> I've updated to the latest BIOS file in the hope Dell had got this
> sorted by now.

I have this set up on my C610 and it suspends and resumes OK, except
that X is frozen on restart.  Console mode works fine.

There are a couple of issues I have with the C610 BIOS (that one and the
fact that the fan comes on full-speed after resume), but Dell shows no
interest in supporting APM or Linux on these things for individual
customers (they only ship with ACPI Windows OSs these days).  The "frozen
X on STD resume" is in Bugzilla (#64782) in the hope that Red Hat might
have some more leverage than I do.  Haven't filed the fan one yet.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs@clemson.edu