Re: yet/last problem with masquerading

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:07:22 +0200 (CEST), Jean Francois Ortolo wrote:

<..snip..>

> No, the path is created when the "default route" is created by
> pppd.

<..snip..>

>>  Otherwise, pppd knows only about eth0, which is the interface
>>  connected
>>to the ADSL modem. pppd knows nothing about eth1, so pppd is unable to
>>make eth0 and eth1 communicate between each other.
>

> pppd doesn't need to. It creates a default route to ppp0 when the
> DSL/PPPoE connection has been established.

   If I understand well that you say, I don't need then to set up any
route manually, pppd does the job itself.

   I bring up a precision: I have no intention to comply with the
/etc/ppp/adsl-masquerade
system file, because I use iptables, though this system file uses ipchains.

   In fact, I don't further have the need for knowing my external IP of
my router, while the firewall I intend to set up will be running. I
intend to set up all the script instructions in the
/etc/sysconfig/iptables system file, i.e. both masquerading and
firewalling instructions, following the syntax of this system file.

>>In my case, the service/protocol, after having been requested from an
>>internal computer in the lan, to the Internet via my router, would
>>involve an incoming request for authentication, which should be
>>directed to the internal computer, the problem being to precisely
>>know, whether or not this incoming request for authentication is part
>>of an entirely new connection, or is part of the actual connection.
>>

> Forget about it when you have a LAN with private IP addresses and a
> router with IP Masquerading. You could only redirect port 113 to a
> single host in your LAN. I doubt you really need auth/113 and identd
> for the outside. It is common to reject external incoming
> connections to that port with -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
> (that avoids time-outs upon connecting to mail servers).

   Thank you very very much Sir

   So my problem is quite simple:

   1)  Configuring both the xDSL connection and the ppp0 interface with
neat ,
   2)  Setting up the /etc/sysconfig/iptables with the whole
masquerading and firewalling iptables rules, with respect to the
particular syntax of this file.

   Many thanks for your help.

   Best regards.

   Jean Francois Ortolo