Re: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP

lör 2002-10-12 klockan 22.59 skrev Michčl Alexandre Salim:
> On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 08:28, Robert Claeson wrote:
> > I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 with Prism 2.5-based WLAN card in one PCMCIA
> > slot. It worked without problems with Red Hat Linux 7.2, but now with
> > Psyche I'm seeing intermittent errors. The following is logged by the
> > kernel:
> >
> > eth1: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
> >
> > The messsage is repeated between 15000 and 20000 times. I can usually
> > run the system between 30 minutes and 3 hours at a time, after which the
> > error occurs. When that happens, rebooting doesn't help. The only thing
> > that helps is a complete shutdown, followed by a power cycle and a
> > startup. Has anybody seen this? Is there a known fix? And what's a BAP?

> I have the desktop version of that card and I get exactly the same error
> message - I find that it is related to the stress load of the network
> card - try using up the bandwith (copying a large file across the local
> WLAN for example) and see your card locking up!

I didn't connect the problem to that until now, but it seems you're
right. I only use the WLAN card at home, but I have a network printer
and just tried sending a largish job to it. The card locked up almost
instantly.

> Does CPU utilisation shoot up to 100% until you turn off the networking
> interface too?

Yes.

> Hmm, now that you mention there is no problem with RH 7.2, I am rather
> tempted to load an old kernel and see how it goes.. then again since my
> card is the PCI version (orinoco_pci) I might get bitten by another
> bug..

I have the PCMCIA version and am seeing exactly the same problem. I've
used it under RH 7.2 for almost 1/2 year without problems. I've also
seen reports from people having the same kinds of problems under FreeBSD
4.6.2.

/Robert