Re: X error, user session ends abruptly

On 10 Oct 2002, Robert L. Cochran wrote:

>Date: 10 Oct 2002 17:55:11 -0400
>From: Robert L. Cochran <cochranb@speakeasy.net>
>To: Red Hat Linux 8.0 Discussion   List <psyche-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: X error, user session ends abruptly
>
>If I log into my user account, then go away for a few minutes, I will
>come back to find my session has gone and the login screen is staring at
>me, expecting me to supply my username and password. If I were in the
>middle of editing an unsaved document and my session ended abruptly like
>this, I'd be in trouble.
>
>I found these messages upon checking the log:
>
>Oct 10 17:36:22 bobcp4 gdm[987]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X
>error - Restarting :0
>Oct 10 17:38:12 bobcp4 gconfd (bcochran-1200): GConf server is not in
>use, shutting down.
>Oct 10 17:38:12 bobcp4 gconfd (bcochran-1200): Exiting
>
>Anyone else getting these having this problem? I'm using an ATI Radeon
>9000 card with a small color monitor, the generic variety sold by
>eMachines. The keyboard is an eMachines keyboard also. The mouse is an
>old Microsoft 3 button mouse. I'm still working on the box itself, which
>I built from parts. When I'm done transferring more cards (like the
>Adaptec SCSI card) and testing them, I'll connect the box to my much
>bigger 19" Dell monitor.

For the record, ATI Radeon 9000/9700 is not supported in Red Hat
Linux 8.0.  I got the PCI ID's of the cards, and had the
configuration tools point to the "vesa" driver so that users with
these cards have something minimal to use until official support,
or at least a better interim solution can be made available.

I'm hoping to release Radeon 9x00 introductory 2D only support in
the near future.  No promises though.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer