Re: X error, user session ends abruptly

Bob,
Probably some of the OpenGL screeensavers are causing the crash.

For immediate relief, set a single screensaver (don't let xscreensaver
cycle through the list).  You can use xscreensaver-demo to do this.

You can also use xscreensaver-demo to manually cycle through the
screensavers to confirm this is the problem.

I've got this happening on any multiscreen (matrox) machines with GLX
support enabled in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  My solution has been to comment
out these lines in /etc/X11/XF86Config:
         # Load  "GLcore"        # OpenGL support
         # Load  "glx"           # OpenGL X protocol interface
         # Load  "v4l"           # Video4Linux
Then the OpenGL stuff can't crash the Xserver.

Hope this helps,
-Bob Arendt