RH8.0 install/booting problem

Hello,
I was happily running RH7.3 for quite some time when I decided to try 8.0.
First attempted to upgrade existing system, which failed as described below.
  Then did a clean upgrade, redoing all the partitions, etc.  Still have the
same problem.
System halts when booting after the following output:
Freeing unused kernel memory: 212k freed
It won't respond to anything besides a hard reset or power down.
I notice that on a working 7.3 system, it seems to start the Init process on
the next line.
Any help in troubleshooting this problem would be appreciated.
Thanks!