Re: Samba and Encrypted Passwords

--- Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> bad guess
>
> which password is ignored (passwd/smbpasswd?) - both
>
> security = domain means that user/password
> authentication is passed over
> to the pdc/bdc.  I quoted directly from the man page
> for smb.conf.

The theory is that domain users are not real users at
all. Both passwd and smbpasswd pertain to local user
accounts. There are local users on both the samba
machine and the windoze machine, but neither of them
actually login to the domain.... only the domain user
logs into the domain.
http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html
is a pretty good outline of samba

=====
Kevin C. McConnell --RHCE-- <Red Hat Certified Engineer>