Re: Samba and Encrypted Passwords

> From: "Basil L. Copeland Jr." <blcjr@sprynet.com>
> Subject: Re: Samba and Encrypted Passwords
> To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>
> Bob Cochran wrote:
>
> >Also, you must initialize the smbpasswd file with the passwords of the
> >user on the Windows 98 box. That username and password must match the
> >username password of the user account on the Linux box,
>
>      Perhaps you can explain this mystery.  We set up samba on psyche this
> week using server=domain security.  I had a user set up a linux user
> account using their NT user account and password.  Linux complained that
> the password was too short, so they used a different password.  When they
> accessed their /home directory on the linux server from a windows 2000
> workstation where they were logged in with their domain user account, they
> got full access to their /home directory, e.g. could write to it.  I was
> suprised.  How could this be when the passwords are not the same?

When you use "domain" security, samba authenticates the user through
the windoze domain security mechanisms.  The docs warn yo that you
should only do this if the usernames are identical **AND** you trust
the NT domain administration.  The Unix passwords don't come into play
in this case at all.

--
    pete peterson
    Teradyne, Inc.; 7 Technology Park Drive; Westford, MA 01886-0033