Re: sendmail with sasl working in RH 8.0????

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 01:31:56PM -0400, Gerry Doris wrote:
> > Is there anyone successfully using sasl authentication with RH 8.0?
> >
> > It stopped working for me when I upgraded from 7.3.  I haven't any idea
> > how to get it going again????
>
> The server's running as user mailnull, group mail, so the permissions
> have to be set to allow it to read the /etc/sasldb file (IIRC it
> previously ran as the superuser, who can read any file on a local disk).
>
> If you make the file group-readable, you'll find that sendmail will balk
> at using it because it fails permission safety checks.  You can override
> this check by adding
>   O DontBlameSendmail=groupreadablesasldbfile
> to /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and restarting the sendmail service.

Untested (I'm a postfix bigot ;-), but configuring sendmail to use
saslauthd, then running saslauthd and configuring it to use sasldb is
another possibility, and avoids the need to muck with permissions.

Of course, I'm not even sure if RH ships saslauthd compiled to support
sasldb....

later,
chris