Re: newbie question upon LAN

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Mike Chambers wrote:

> With only one card going to the LAN, how are you planning on connecting the
> other computers on the LAN to it?  So I would say yes you need a hub or
> switch.  Plug the one card from the linux box to the hub/switch, then plug
> the rest of the computers on the LAN to the hub/switch.  Of course, you
> still need masquerading/forwarding/firewall on the linux box.
>

> DSL modem --->linux box ---->switch/hub ----->other computers on LAN
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Mike

Thank you very much Sir
  My last question yet:  Either is forwarding necessary with masquerading,
or masquerading sufficient enough ?

  I believed the ports forwarding was being completed by the hub itself ?

  The main ADSL connected computer is presumed to be configured with a
firewall software in it ( with iptables ), directly on the Internet.

  I did set up the firewall already at home, there remains a few rules to
be set for masquerading and, if necessary, forwarding.

  Many thank for your help.

  Jean Francois Ortolo