Re: Problem with Psyche Disc 1 ISO??

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Tom Diehl wrote:

>> Unfortunately, VFAT is part of Linux, NOT Windows
>> 2000.  Therefore, other than using FAT or FAT32, NTFS
>
>HUH?? A VFAT file system is a windoze filesystem. Linux is just
>smart enough to read it. IIRC VFAT=FAT32.

Technically speaking, the filesystem is FAT, and there are
different variants of FAT.  FAT12, FAT16, FAT32.

The original FAT filesystems have a limitation of 8.3 character
filenames built into the filesystem by design.  This is where
VFAT comes into play.  VFAT is not itself a filesystem, but
rather a backwards compatible but new interpretation of the
directory layout on any FAT based filesystem.  VFAT changes the
way directory entries stored on disk are interpreted, by taking
multiple directory entries and grouping them together in a very
very evil hacked up way.  For the extreme gory details of VFAT
directory structure, there is a document on VFAT in the Linux
kernel source code which details everything.

So, when you mount a filesystem in Linux as "msdos" or as "vfat",
you're mounting an FAT filesystem, either FAT12, FAT16, or FAT32.
Choosing "msdos" as the type, tells the filesystem driver to
interpret the directory contents as traditional 8.3 FAT directory
structure, whereas mounting as type "vfat" tells the driver to
interpret the directory structure with VFAT semantics.

VFAT works with all FAT filesystems, including FAT12, FAT16, and
FAT32.  It's important thus to recognize that VFAT and FAT32 are
totally different things, however people often get them confused
as meaning the same thing, probably because they were introduced
in Microsoft Windows at roughly the same time.  Actually, when
the original Windows 95 came out, it used VFAT directory
interpretation for FAT12 and FAT16, but it did not even support
FAT32 yet, which didn't exist until Windows 95b was released.

Just thought I would clarify the incorrect misconception that
VFAT==FAT32, as it does not.  Just for fun, format an MSDOS
floppy disk (FAT12) and mount it as VFAT.  ;o)

Hope this helps.
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer