Re: Incoming IMAP Mail Server In Evolution

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 21:45, Robert L. Cochran wrote:

> I recently installed 8.0 on a friend's computer. He is fascinated with
> Evolution and wants to connect to his employer's IMAP server as the
> incoming mail server. (Yes he is allowed to do so. Actually he already
> does it with Outlook 2000 on his Windows machine.) He specified the
> server type as IMAP and added the correct server string as the imcoming
> mail server:
>
> mail.example.com
>
> But, he cannot download his incoming emails.
>
> Should he have written the incoming mail server as:
>
> mail.example.com:143

-----
No - the port number is understood

Depending upon the type of imap connection, you may need to check the
'use ssl' box and sometimes server systems offer self-signed
certificates which aren't readily accepted by various mail softwares.

There is a cool button that you can try...check for supported types of
connections but generally, I would suggest that you try the plain
password first.

note that you can always check these things from the command line
(telnet is your friend)...

telnet mail.example.com 143

this will tell if you mail.example.com resolves thru dns
if there is a server at mail.example.com listening to port 143, it is
likely to give a response...

Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN]
localhost.localdomain IMAP4rev1 2001.315rh at Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:01:20
-0700 (MST)

this offers some interesting information such as STARTTLS & AUTH=LOGIN
which means that this imap server will accept STARTTLS encryption or
plain logins

lastly...with imap, you typically have to get a full download of folders
and indicate which ones you wish to subscribe to. See tools
menu...subscribe to folders...

Craig