Re: vt8233a southbridge

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, David wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, James Ralston wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, David wrote:
> >
> > > Automatic configuration of the RAM timings ("By SPD") doesn't
> > > work on this motherboard.
> >
> > WORKSFORME; I've never had any problems with the "By SPD" setting
> > on my Asus A7V333, regardless of the BIOS version (currently 1011,
> > but I didn't have any problems with older versions either).
>
> I didn't mean to imply it is a characteristic of all A7V333
> motherboards, but it's certainly the case with mine.  I tested 4
> sticks of brand-name DDR (PC2700 and PC2100) - none worked with SPD.
> (I initially thought my Corsair XMS was faulty, but that's not the
> case)

Very strange.

> > > With various DIMMS, I would get random lockups, memtest86
> > > failures, etc.  Works perfectly if I manually set the timings.
> >
> > Are you certain the modules you had problems with supported SPD?
> > Not all modules do...
>
> Yes, all 4 DIMMs worked fine in other motherboards set to use SPD.
> I've seen other A7V333s that do work with SPD, so perhaps I have a
> strange motherboard, or only a certain revision/BIOS combination
> does this.

I tend to doubt this, as I've run a bunch of different BIOS revisions
on my system.  I had no problems with using the "By SPD" setting,
regardless of my BIOS version.

Although I guess it doesn't matter much at this point (because you can
work around it), my guess would be some sort of hardware problem with
the motherboard itself...

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute