pc unresponsive while using cd drive

I have been using psyche for a few days now and when I rip or burn with
my cdrom (a plextor 40/12/40A IDE burner) my comp[uter becomes almost
entirely unresponsive.  The mouse will not even move the cursor in a
smooth line.  The burner was configured with the hda=ide-scsi by the
installer.  I have tried setting the DMA mode to on with
'hdparm -d1 /dev/hda'
and I still have the same problems. This problem has never been so bad
with previous versions of redhat on the same machine.  It also is
non-existent in windows.  I assume I have something configured wrong and
would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

thanks,

Matt Whiteley