Sound problems with Xine 0.9.13

I downloaded the Xine source of 0.9.13 and compiled. Now when I load a movie and start playback there's no sound. The internal volume control is set to "0", so I try to raise it... Then the movie starts to go in slow motion, and soon the whole system is being slowed down by Xine. Eventually the Xine app freezes, so I have to kill the process.
Does this have something to do with the removal of the mp3 decoder in RH8? Doesn't Xine have a built-in decoder if its own? Nevertheless, what can I do to make Xine work again? Be it more or less clean...

Hakon