Re: Terminal Emulation changes for 8.0?

On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:15:50 -0500
Don Garrett <garrett@bgb.cc> wrote:

#    I'm using SecureCRT, connecting through the SSH2 protocol. I have
# tried almost every terminal type supported (vt100, vt220, ANSI,
# Linux) with no luck. Connecting VIA OpenSSH from my XP laptop has
# the same issues.
#
#    The text consoles on these machines work fine, as do xterm and
#    it's
# bretheran via VNC. Using the default bash login scripts instead of
# my own customized scripts makes no difference either.
#
#    So, has anyone else seen this, or failed to see this? Are there
#    any
# suggestions about what the problem may be?

This is a UTF issue.  The bash process on the Red Hat system thinks
it's being ran with a LANG setting of "en_US.UTF-8", so man pages and
whatnot output chars in this language.  Your term emulator is
expecting things to be in Vt100, and w/out the UTF settings.  This
causes the garble.  There are 2 ways to fix this.  A) Set your LANG to
en_US or posix or C on the Red Hat box.  (/etc/sysconfig/i18n)  OR set
your securecrt to be able to interprete utf chars.  I'm unsure how to
do this.

--
Jesse Keating
j2Solutions.net