Re: RH: Some user feedback

Jason Gilbert <jason@doozer.com> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 01:55:21AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > The completely can-not-budge requirement here is only one web browser
> > (or whatever) in the main menus for the default install. We need to
> > find the best way to achieve that but it has to happen, very much
> > non-negotiable.
>
> I may have missed it, but why is this the case?

Because it is complete, total crackrock to make new users see two web
browsers on equal footing and have to pick one. It stops anyone who
isn't a hard-core computer geek dead in their tracks.

> Interestingly, parts of the current menu system would seem to go against the
> suggestions of the GOME User Interface Guidelines.  which I'm sure has been
> mentioned before.
>
>    http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/desktop-integration.html

The only difference I'm aware of is "Web Browser" vs. "Mozilla Web
Browser" which we intend to correct in future.

Dumping all apps in the toplevel menu violates several of the
guidelines, such as the max number of items that should be in a menu,
or alternatively the max number of submenus that are allowed.

Havoc