need help with graphics adapter coniguration

Hello

I am a newbie and I am desperately looking for help. I
want to learn Linux but I am struggeling to get the
resolution right.

I have installed 9.0, X is giving me a major headache.
Whenever i configure the resolution to be anything
above 600x480, the monitor goes black after initial
booting. The installation recognises the Monitor and
the graphics card correctly. I have tried different
monitors, but the results were the same. The biggest
problem with it is now, that each time I try to change
settings and the screen goes "black", I have to
reinstall it all over again.

Can someone help me to tweak the settings so that I
can see a 1024x768 resolution.

Thank you very much

Dom