Re: Dual Head Matrox g550 on rhel3

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:20:50 -0500, Tad Truex <tad.truex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to configure X to use my dual heads (hanging off a Matrox
> G550).  I'd prefer a xinerama display, but would settle for dual
> independent displays in a pinch if that's the best we can do...
>
> I haven't had any luck with the standard configuration tools (no
> indication anywhere that they even recognize the dual headedness of the
> system).  I am running a nice clean RHEL3 install with all of the
> updates installed.  It is running on an Athlon64 if that matters.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Are dual heads supported
> for the G550 under RHEL3?

regular dualhead should work on the G450/G550 with the xorg driver.
HAL is only required for DVI and mergedfb.  I had dualhead working a
while back with a G550, but I no longer have the hardware.  matrox
cards can be a bit tricky to set up in dualhead mode.  often times the
crtc to output mapping is funky, so you may have to use the swap heads
option.  Also DDC doesn't work on crtc2 so you'll need to make sure
you specify the hsync and vrefresh for both monitors.

Alex