Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:32:49 -0300
From: Andre Costa <acosta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Fedora ML <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Trouble using truetype fonts on FC2

Hi,

I have recently upgraded FC1 to FC2 (woo-hoo! =)), and all seems to be
going well -- except for TTF support.

I have gone through the instructions here
[http://www.rockhopper.dk/linux/software/fonts-in-xfree.html], but I
can't seem to be able to enable Windows TTF. The very same procedure
works flawlessly on FC1.

All steps seem to succeed, all proper files seem to be on the right
place etc. 'xlsfonts' lists windows fonts without complaints. However,
fonts appear ugly, as you can see by these screenshots from Sylpheed:

http://gwpr03.microlink.com.br/~acosta/Sylpheed-FC1.png
http://gwpr03.microlink.com.br/~acosta/Sylpheed-FC2.png

First one is how it looks on FC1 (I took it from my computer at work,
but it was working like that on my home computer as well). I am using
Verdana font, and it looks just like it should. Second one shows how it
is appearing on FC2 -- this font is definitely not Verdana.

Sylpheed is configured to use this font on both versions:
-microsoft-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-*-90-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1

I am running Xorg at 100x100dpi, using nvidia drivers.
/etc/X11/fs/config has:

[...]
catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
        /usr/share/fonts/ttf,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Windows,
        /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,
        /usr/lib/openoffice/share/fonts/truetype

# in 12 points, decipoints
default-point-size = 120

# 100 x 100 and 75 x 75
#default-resolutions = 75,75,100,100
default-resolutions = 100,100,75,75
[...]

fonts.scale and fonts.dir have been created on /usr/share/fonts/ttf
with:

ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
mkfontdir

I can't see what's wrong... any specific Xorg procedure I should do?
Anyone else can confirm successfully enabling MS fonts on FC2? (please
note: I would like to do it for both GTK 1.x and GTK2).

TIA

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa