Re: ATI Mach64 Rage II video card driver in Red Hat 9 (Fedora Core 2)

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Wanqing Wu wrote:

>I installed the latest red hat Linux, Fedora Core 2, in my machine. But the X server cannot be
>started. I got the following error message:
>
>Module: init10  X11R6.7.0
>Driver: atimisc_drv.o
>Error: ATI cannot read V_BIOS
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The driver can't read the video BIOS.

>My machine has the video card, ATI Mach64 3D Rage IIC. The driver installed
>is atimisc_drv.o of X11R6.
>
>Could you please let me know what is wrong ? Do I have the correct driver ?
>If I don't have the correct driver, where can I get the one for my video card ?

You have the correct (and only) driver.  For one reason or
another it can't read the video BIOS, and will not function.  You
need to determine the cause of that first, and then try to fix
it.  Make sure that your CMOS is configured correctly, and that
you're using Red Hat supplied XFree86 rpms and kernel.

By the way, in the Subject line of your email you state:

"Re: ATI Mach64 Rage II video card driver in Red Hat 9 (Fedora Core 2)"

I presume you mean "Red Hat Linux 9" there.  "Red Hat Linux 9"
and "Fedora Core 2" are two totally different operating system
releases which have nothing in common with each other.  From your
email though, it appears that you are using Fedora Core 2, not
Red Hat Linux 9.

Post your X server log file and config file somewhere and pass on
the URL, and we'll have a look.