ATI Radeon M10 woes

Hi!
I've posted about this before, but since the message was completely ignored, I'm going to try again. I apologize for repeating myself, but I've spent the last month trying to solve this myself, to no avail.

I've got a shiny new Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M10 I think; lspci reports 0x4e50), running Red Hat 9.0. I've managed to get XFree86 running with the VESA driver at 1600x1200. I've tried a number of things to get it to run in the native mode of 1920x1200, but with no success. I've googled it to death and found a variety of seemingly hopeful suggestions, none of which have helped. Some of the things I've tried include: adding custom modelines in the display section and referencing them in the screen section; defining new modes; installing various custom radeon drivers (including one or more from Mike Harris' ftp); and screaming loudly at it (while this was, admittedly, one of the less-effective solutions, it was more satisfying than any of the others).

The proprietary ATI drivers don't work at all. They install fine, but when I attempt to start XFree86 the screen turns an unwholesome blotchy grey and the computer locks up tight. This, by the way, is the same thing that happens whenever I try ANY radeon-specific driver, regardless of it's source.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

-Tim

--
Proprietary software is like petrified wood. It used to be alive, but
then it was fixed in time and put in a box. GNU/Linux software, in