Re: XFree86-DRI problems w/ OpenGL/Mesa apps on FC1

On 09/02/04, at 05:13 -0500, Mike A. Harris <mharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[SNIP]
> You have different options to solve this Nvidia driver installer
> bug:
>
> 1) Write to Nvidia and tell them to fix their installer to not
>    break your system.

For this solution, they would probably take years before replying!

> or
>
> 2) Manually remove the Mesa TLS libGL

This one might be the quickest way to do it.

> or
>
> 3) Download the www.livna.org Nvidia driver RPM packages, which
>    are much saner than installing the driver from Nvidia's
>    tarballs.
>

> Before assuming that it is your operating system at fault when
> you have a problem during upgrading or configuration, be sure to
> consider all possibilities - especially if you are using
> unsupported proprietary drivers or software.

Dear Mike,
          This wasn't my intention at all. I never implied that the OS was
at "fault". What I meant was that most probably the new upgraded OS might
have change one or two things, e.g installation paths, different
assumptions, etc... that I needed to know in order to determine what I
need to do next. I don't blame the OS at all. Be reassured and I maintain
that RH is doing a good job and has always done a good job. :-)

Of course when RH upgrades its distro, it's naturally for the better and
that there are sound ideas behind certain changes/additions.

Many thanks for your kind reply and help.

> For further information, search the list archives, as there have
> been more than one person hit by this Nvidia proprietary driver
> installer bug.

Yeps done.

> Hope this helps.

helps a lot!

With kind regards,

Didier.

---
PhD student.

Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
5 Research Link,
Singapore 117603

Email: slsbdfc at nus dot edu dot sg /
didierbe at sps dot nus dot edu dot sg