Re: Requesting experiences with dual-DVI cards

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, William D. Hamblen wrote:
>
>>> The dualhead FireGL cards with dual-DVI do not work dualhead with DVI
>>> output because the second output aparently uses a secondary TMDS
>>> transmitter which is not built into the main ASIC, and it
>>> isn't yet supported by the XFree86 driver.
>>
>>Yeesh, I had assumed that those would work given their target market
>> and cost (not that I was considering one).  Good to know though,
>> thanks.
>>
>>Mike, do you have any information about the NVidia Quadro NVS 280 -
>> which is part of the Redhat certified Dell Precision Workstation 360n?
>> If it  doesn't work dual-DVI,
>
> The XFree86 4.3.0 nv driver doesn't fully support DVI properly
> nor autodetect it on all hardware.  I don't believe the nv driver
> supports dualhead at all, but I've never tried it nor received
> feedback from people wanting to do that.
>
> So this type of setup is not supported.  I believe most if not
> all people who are using such setups, use the proprietary driver
> anyway.
>

>>that might be worthy of a comment in the hardware compatibility
>>list.
>
> I'm not involved in any way with the Red Hat hardware
> compatibility list, or adding or removing data from it.  As far
> as video is concerned though, I am more or less the hardware
> compatibility list, regardless of what any HCL may or may not
> include.   ;o)
>

> --
> Mike A. Harris

Hi!
  I run the exact setup Mr. Hamblen described, using the ATI proprietary
driver Mr. Harris mentions. It works great, though it's a pain in some
ways. For instance, you have to re-compile it each time you install an
updated kernel, and the RPM contains files that conflict with XFree86
MesaGL, so I had to --force --nodeps it (suggestions on what I SHOULD
have done are welcome, RPM is still a little mysterious to me). If you
really want dual-DVI (with hardware, even), you might want to consider
going over to the dark side and try the ATI driver.

-Tim