X hangs during NIS/NFS login

Hello,

We've setup NIS/NFS to automount our home directories, and provide centralized passwords. The entire system runs on RHEL v3, and works fine for text-only logins. However; when we login using the GUI, the password is accepted, and then the system hangs with the familiar x-shaped cursor. The "Red Hat" screen doesn't even appear.

I've tried mounting the directories manually, and the same happens, so I don't believe the automounter is at fault. I've tried a few combinations of NFS options, but am continuing to investigate more. However, if I copy the home directory to the local machine, everything loads fine.

I've poked through the XFree86 logs, but don't see anything too scary. I am; however, seeing messages of the form "lockd: Server XXX not responding, still trying". But I can see the files in both mounted directories.

Any other ideas? I am posting my results in bug #102402, which was initially opened for Red Hat 9, but the symptoms are nearly the same.

Thanks for any other ideas,

Norman