Re: Problem using vga-out under RedHat9

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, [ISO-8859-3] Fernando Álvarez-Uría wrote:

>Im trying to get the vga out of my laptop working.
>
>I can toggle between an external monitor and the laptop's lcd using
>fn+f5, but i cant get both working at the same time.
>
>I need that for presentations, where the projector and the laptop's lcd
>should be working at the same time.
>
>I have tried to use i810switch, but that only lets me turn on and off
>the external monitor. I cant get both at the same time.
>
>My graphic card is an Intel 852, and the laptop model is an Acer
>Travelmate 242LCe
>
>Here are my XF86Config and my XFree86.0.log
>
>I would really apreciate any comments, advise, or suggestions on this.

The simple (but unfortunate) answer here, is that the XFree86
i810 driver does not support multihead chips from working in
multihead.  In order to do multihead in XFree86 with an Intel
integrated graphics chipset, you have to plug in an add in PCI or
AGP board and do multihead that way.

Perhaps the XFree86 driver maintainer for the i810 driver can
provide a guess as to when multihead support might get added to
the driver.  You'd want to query for that on the
xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx list.

Hope this helps.

TTYL

--