Re: Problem with building XFree86-4.3.0-36.src.rpm

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Jason Kim wrote:

>I can unpack and build XFree86-4.3.0-33.src.rpm without any rpms
>upgrade.  ( I'm using Redhat9)
>
>But I can't do it with XFree86-4.3.0-36.src.rpm, even
>XFree86-4.3.0-30.src.rpm.  It complains with glibc version.
>I'm trying to upgrade glibc with the new rawhide package, but it causes
>another dependency problem... on and on and on ......
>
>do I need to download every newest rawhide package to solve this
>problem?

No.  You are trying to blindly install or blindly compile the
src.rpm without reading the heavily commented spec file.

The default compile target is build_cambridge (the codename for
the current development), and that target contains enhancements
which are conditionally compiled in just for cambridge and/or
taroon, such as Jakub's libGL prelinking and TLS enhancements
which require newer toolchain to work, among other things.

I have went to great efforts to make the rawhide XFree86 packages
recompileable on Red Hat Linux 8.0 and newer releases, and
they're tested frequently.  In order for someone to be successful
however, they really need to be reading the RPM specfile
changelog, and reading comments in the spec file.  I can only
make the software functional and configureable, but I can't force
people to read my documentation.  ;o)

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris