Re: Configuring 4-heads with Radeon 7500 RV2P

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Alex Deucher wrote:

>Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:24:16 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Alex Deucher <agd5f@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Configuring 4-heads with Radeon 7500 RV2P
>
>I suppose you can have any number of cards.  There's no limit that I
>know of (well actually I think there is a NUM_SCREENS value somewhere
>(I think it's 16?), but that can be increased).  I've never tested with
>more than one card myself.

Increasing MAXSCREENS (in misc.h) will basically break the
server.  While the protocol allows 256 screens IIRC, the server
is hard coded to use 16, and changing this will break many things
including ABI compatibility.

Also, many resources are allocated based on MAXSCREENS, so
changing it would increase the memory usage of the server even
without having more screens.

In short, many parts of the server need refactoring, dynamic
allocation of resources, and other tweaks before MAXSCREENS can
be changed.  It's something unlikely to happen before XFree86 5.0
development.

--
Mike A. Harris