Matrox G450 PCI dual-headed (was Re: xinerama portrait)

For the record, I'm following up to a thread from May 2003.  To recap:
I'm on RH9, with two Dell flat panels which I wanted to drive in
dual-head mode.  I bought an ATI Radeon 7500 PCI card, which I actually
got running under Xinerama, but I had such horrible display glitches, it
made one of the screens barely usable.

At the time, someone recommended a Matrox G450 PCI card, but it's taken
me this long to get off my butt, buy the card and give it a try.  I have
to say, I wish I'd done this a long time ago, because I finally have the
system I've always wanted.

So if you're looking for a fairly low-price flat panel dual-headed
option, I would highly recommend the Matrox G450 over the ATI Radeon
7500.  I'm using a pre-AGP Dell box so I have the PCI version of both
cards.  The Matrox's display quality on both the VGA and DVI->VGA ports
is wonderful -- almost as good as my MacOSX dual-headed box :).

I recommend downloading the latest drivers from Matrox, specifically the
BETA Linux Driver for XFree86 4.2.0, 4.2.1, and 4.3.0 (dated Jul 21,
2003, a.k.a. the Beta 3.0 drivers).  I pulled these down, installed them
and re-ran Xconfigure.  Then I hacked the resulting XF86Config file to
enable Xinerama, add a second videocard device, a second screen, and
modified the ServerLayout section to put the screens in the right order
(oddly enough, reversed from the ATI order).

A restart of X and everything works great.  And thankfully no display
glitches at all, AFAICT.  Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Anybody wanna buy an ATI 7500 PCI card, cheap?

-Barry