Re: RedHat 9 & Radeon 9000

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Alex Deucher wrote:

>Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:41:52 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Alex Deucher <agd5f@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: RedHat 9 & Radeon 9000
>
>you might also try switching the driver from "radeon" to "ati"

Changing the driver from "radeon" to "ati" will have zero change
whatsoever.  The "ati" driver is not a Radeon driver.  The "ati"
driver is merely a wrapper around all 3 ATI drivers:

	atimisc - Mach64 and older
	r128	- Rage 128
	radeon	- Radeon and FireGL hardware

If you use the "ati" driver wrapper, all it does is autodetect
the video card, and then autoload the correct driver, which in
this case is the "radeon" driver.  Personally, despite anyone
else's recommendations, I recommend people to use the proper
driver and not rely on wrapper drivers such as "ati", because
there are cases in which the wrapper has caused problems for
people in the past and using the correct driver to begin with
works properly.

Since the wrapper is not actually a driver, there is no way that
using the wrapper (ati) will work for someone and the actual
driver (radeon) wont.

--
Mike A. Harris