RH 9 and KDE Screensavers

Having a wonderful problem with RH 9 hope someone can help.

I've been having problems (for several weeks) with the KDE screensavers
locking up. Once the screen-lock is activated, the system "appears" to
lock up at random times - sometimes it happens instantly, other times it
takes several consecutive screen-locks to do it. When this happens I can
ssh in and kill the screensaver itself and kdesktop_lock processes and
then I get my desktop back just like normal. (Note: it occurs quite
frequently using the "Solar Winds" and other "Really Slick"-based
savers)
This occurs in KDE 3.1-1 (out of the box) and with the 3.1.2 RPMS from
kde.org

I'm running RH (2.4.20-8) on a Dell C610 laptop with an Ati Radeon
Mobility M6, I've also tried this setup with the latest kernel
(2.4.20-18.9) this made no difference. I even tried killing gpm thinking
that it somehow it was taking control of my keyboard/mouse but to no
avail.

This interesting problem occurs in Gnome as well but it is more frequent
in KDE.

Was wondering if I could also get anyone's thoughts on the Ati Drivers
(from Ati themselves), does anyone think these might help? I've tried
searching their website but they didn't make it very easy to find - I've
also read on their site that if I have a "radeon" card less than the
8000 series I should use the DRI modules, is this correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thank you,
-Mike