Re: Problems with undefined reference errors

Allow me to quote you what I also said later on in the same message:

> I have a custom build of XFree86 (4.3.0-3) installed that I built
> from the source RPM under Red Hat 8.0

While upgrading to RH9, the XFree86 packages were not upgraded, since it
saw 4.3.0-3 as being newer than 4.3.0-2.

> >I could try installing the 4.3.0-2 binaries from the RH9 CD to
> >see if that works.  I just wondered if there was anything else I
> >could do, short of doing that.
>
> Red Hat Linux 9 binaries generally will not install on Red Hat
> Linux 8.0 without recompilation, and even then, some require spec
> file editing prior to rebuilding, and many of them have other
> dependancies on packages from Red Hat Linux 9 also.

That's fine.  I am running RH9.

> >There was no reason to treat me like I'm stupid.
>
> I wasn't.  I read your statements as implications that something
> is drastically broken in Red Hat Linux 9 that prevents X11
> applications from compiling properly.

I didn't mean to imply anything, I was just wondering what was going on.

The part I took exception to was when you said:

> Please put the source code you are trying to compile on ftp/http
> somewhere so that it can be compiled by hundreds of Red Hat Linux
> 9 users, and we can see if this is a problem with Red Hat Linux
> 9, or just with your personal system.  Guess which one is more
> likely...

That sounded *very* condescending to me.

> You've said you were using RHL 9 in your original mail, and the C
> compiler you said you used, is the one from RHL 9 as well.  Now
> you say you're using RHL 8.0, which only confuses things.  Have
> you also manually rebuild the gcc rpms from RHL 9 and installed
> them on RHL 8.0?

No, what I meant was that the XFree86 packages had been built and
installed on my system while I was running RH8.  I have since upgraded
to RH9.

> I'm not sure what exactly you're running, but I'm sure that the
> problem isn't something caused by Red Hat Linux provided
> packages.  ;o)

I never said it was.  I did wonder if that might be the case, though,
since glibc 2.3 and wine don't play very well together, unless you build
wine from CVS.  I always try to leave all possibilities open.

> Again, my suggestion is to back up your data, install Red Hat
> Linux 9, don't modify anything or install homebrew packages, and
> try to compile the program.  It will work, trust me.  ;o)  And I
> mean you no disrespect.  I'm just trying to show you that it does
> really work.

I figured there could be something wrong with my setup.  I went ahead
and installed XFree86 4.3.0-2, and tried compiling my program again.  It
now works, and next I'll try compile other packages as well.

--Bill