Re: Radeon 9700 dual monitor support help needed

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Alex Deucher wrote:

>get rid of the "videoram" lines in your config.  You don't need them.
>the driver will detect the video ram fine.  all the option doesa is
>confuse the driver.

I'm going to start removing the VideoRAM option from all drivers
that don't require it (all drivers for any sane modern video
hardware) as it has caused many people problems unnecessarily,
such as someone starting X, and seeing it say their video card
only has 32Mb of RAM, when they Just Know(TM) it is 64Mb because
that is what "the guy said", or "the box said", or my favourite
"I just know it is 64Mb <boom tish>".  In all cases the card is
32Mb and the user is misinformed about their hardware, and they
have CREATED their problem, and then burdened me, and Red Hat
resources or tech support with their own self made problem.

Removing VideoRAM option from all drivers that don't have any
good reason to have it, is a good idea.

--
Mike A. Harris