graphics card recommendation

I've got a (legacy) SiS6215 card that is not
supported by XFree86-4.2 (RH 7.3).

I'm currently using the vesa driver, but this
seems to be very inefficient, and X is the top
process much of the time.

I'm wondering what I should do. Is there any
guide/man page/howto that addresses how I can
use the old 3.3.6 driver? I thought this would
be well-covered, but I didn't find a good HOWTO
kind of guide.

Perhaps I should simply buy a new card. In that
case, could folks recommend a good, stable, reliable
card that is easy to configure using Xconfigurator?
I'm not looking for anything terribly high-end, just
something that will give me 1024x768 at 16bpp, and
something for which I can get acceleration to work
without having to tweak things much.

Thanks for any help,
Mandar.