Re: Installing XFree86 4.3 on RHL 7.3

I would like to take this opportunity to express my personal thanks to all
those at RedHat who continue to strive to provide us with a highly stable
and usable distribution of linux.  With no direct support from hardware
vendors, it is near impossible in many cases to build drivers, yet people
in the open source community manage anyway, and RedHat has the highly
unenviable task of bundling it and making it work for corporate types who
demand accountability, but will not take responsibility for even reading a
supported hardware list.

I bought a Radeon video card on bad advice that it was fully supported in
RedHat (read XFree86), and it's not.  That's my fault for not paying
attention.  I am very happy that in RedHat 9 the support for the card is
nearly there all the way, and I would like to express my thanks to those
who have put time into making that possible.

Thanks, and believe me when I say that there are people out here who
really really appreciate what you guys do.

If it wasn't for RedHat I probably wouldn't have a job doing what I do,
and that goes for a lot of people.

Alex Turner
NetEconomist

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Sat, 17 May 2003, Michael B Allen wrote:
>
> >to the three packages mentioned. All of which I seem to have or have
> >rebuilt from src.rpm. Rpmfind.net claims 2.4.18-3 provides kernel-drm. My
> >impression was that the remaining stuff is just a problem with RPM
> >dependencies. But if you know for certain a few packages that will
> >definately give me problems then please enlighten me before I run rpm
> >--nodeps and end up needing to back it off.
> >
> >"Upgrading" to RH 9 is not an option. This is my work machine and I don't
> >need any headaches. Right now the machine is rock solid and I'm going
> >to keep it that way. Backing off X is one thing but changing operating
> >systems is not acceptable and I'm sorry to hear RH is so quick to leave
> >people behind and EOL versions they just put out a year ago. I would
> >just like to use a flat panel I have but the current video doesn't seem
> >up to it so I was hoping improved support for my chip would help.
>
> Don't even get me started.  You have absolutely no idea
> whatsoever the amount of engineering resources that are required
> to support releases for longer periods of time.
>
> First, I must apologize to everyone reading this for its length,
> however I need to speak my mind about a few things that I find a
> lot of people simply do not understand, and appreciate how
> complicated it is to produce a Linux distribution, and to keep it
> as high quality as possible, knowing what risks are good and what
> ones are bad, and knowing how to make the most efficient usage of
> your manpower and time resources, and to divide that time amongst
> future development of products, as well as maintenance of
> released products.

[snip]