Apps lockup when drawing new windows (Gaim, Evolution)

In order to get my Radeon 7500 working in dual head mode (without the
"cursor causes the primary screen to blank" problem), I downloaded and
installed the XFree86-*-4.3.0-10 rpms from rawhide.

It certainly fixed the dual screen blanking problem, however now
whenever Gaim tries to open a new window on an incoming chat request,
Gaim locks up while the new window is in the process of being drawn.
The chat window appears, but the contents are missing and Gaim needs to
be SIGTERM'ed and restarted.  This is a 100% replicatable fault.. it
happens every time, but the trick is, it ONLY happens if the main Gaim
window is located on the secondary display.  If I locate the main Gaim
window to the primary display, everything is fine.

I'm also experiencing problems with Evolution in a similar vein.  The
problem with Evolution is only intermittent but every now and then, when
I start evolution, a few seconds after it's finished loading, the main
evolution window also locks up and becomes unresponsive (often happens
when I scroll down the list of e-mails or folders).  Again a SIGTERM and
restarting the app seems to overcome it.  It doesn't seem to matter
which screen it opens on (Evolution opens in the primary screen by
default), it still happens every now and then (probably 1 out of 7
startups of evolution).

Both of these problems only raised their ugly head after upgrading to
the Rawhide 4.3.0-10 XFree86 rpms to solve the dualhead issue.  Has
anybody got similar problems or any ideas as to how I might resolve
this??  I'm pretty sure they aren't application errors as they both seem
similar in nature and started after the upgrade to 4.3.0-10.  My guess
is there is still something dicey about the dualhead side of things in
4.3.0 for the radeon driver.  I ran exactly the same setup in Redhat 8.0
and never had an issue.

Many thanks for any ideas,

Graham Smith