X problem

I currently use RedHat 9 on my old toshiba 1640  laptop and since the
version 7.3 of RedHat I have some troubles with the graphical mode.
In fact, when I launch applications like Nautilus or Mozilla  it appears
sometimes on my screen some very strange lines with differents colors.
I tried several configuration for my graphic card (ATI Rage LT Pro) but it
still the same thing. Even if I used my graphic card in 16bits mode I have
the same
problem. I tried to fix the problem by looking on the xfree.org web site
but I found anything concerning this problem. I suspect a problem of memory
but I'm not sure.
Could you please help me, I like to use RedHat in peace.

Thanks
Christophe.