Re: xinerama portrait

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 11:35, John M. Gabriele wrote:

> I've noticed a difference in display quality when driving my flat
> panel with an nVidia gForce2 MX 200 vs. a Matrox G400. The flat
> panel has both DVI and analog (15-pin) inputs, but so far I've only
> had video cards with analog outputs. :( Anyhow, the Matrox looks
> better -- more crisp with less shadowing.

Very interesting.  Some one else posted positive results about a newer
Matrox card, so that's definitely worth looking into.  I wish the FP's
had digital ins, but I guess you get what you pay for. ;)  OTOH, they
are fairly nice 17" 1280x1024 panels.

> Note, this was with my 15" 1024x768 monitor. I've looked at 17" 1280x1024
> flat panels and my guess is that you'd have trouble getting *any* analog
> card to give you crystal clear output.

That's the funny thing.  When I drive the same panels with my MacOSX
box, I have very good results.  The Radeon 8500 Mac has the same outputs
as the 7500, and while I see very slight fuzzing artifacts on the
DVI->VGA panel, it's barely noticeable, and the straight through VGA
panel looks very clear.

> That's a very good question. Add to it: a card that has DVI output(s).

I'm not quite ready to ditch my new FP's for full digital output, but
the prices /are/ dropping! :)

Thanks,
-Barry