Re:Re: Xfree86 4.3.0 broke my puter

No, I'm sure it isn't a software bug. What I would say is that it is an
incompatibility between my old hardware and the latest release of Red Hat. I
understand that compatibility with every possible hardware out there is
impossible, but I was just wondering if anyone had a clue for a work-around.

The problems with the missing libXft.so.2 and libXrandr.so.2 are conflicts
between several applications, such as gnome, that come with Red Hat 9.0 that
used version 1 of these libraries in previous releases. The reason I got the
complaints was because I forced an installation (not upgrade) "down" to
4.2.0 just to see if having 4.2.0 but leaving some of the new libraries from
4.3.0 would work. It does get me further, in that the graphic screen comes
up with the "x" mouse cursor, but soon either returns to the console
complaining that these libraries are missing (even though they are actually
there, but I suppose no longer linked in or something), or gives me some
other error, such as "gnone (or KDE) could not initialize", something like
that. I have since reinstalled 8.0 completely and it works now, but I sure
wish I could upgrade to 9.0.

Is there a way to have both version 1 and version 2 of these libX libs
available, or to ugrade everything EXCEPT X Windows to Red Hat 9.0? I
suspect the latter wouldn't work; that I would get failed dependency errors
when I tried to install gnome, KDE, etc. since the version 2 libs all come
from the xfree86 4.3 libs, right?

The only other solution I can think of would be to trace through the source
to see exactly what line the Compaq is blowing up on, but I don't yet know
how to do that sort of think in Linux. Is there a "startx
-debug_turn_screen_echo_on_and_press_F7_to_step_into_each_line_in_all_these_
scripts_and_or_libraries" type of command? :)

Thanks,
Carl