Re: Xfree86 4.3.0 broke my puter

On Sat, 3 May 2003, cnelson1 wrote:

>I have an old Compaq, a Prolinea 575 Pentium I 120Mhz. It has always run
>every version of Red Hat with no complaints. However, I installed 9.0 on it
>and X no longer works. When I type startx, X, xfree86,
>redhat-config-xfree86, the screen goes blank. Ctl-Alt-Backspace doesn?t
>work, I have to reset the machine (Ctl-Alt-Del), or ssh from another machine
>and kill the process. The logs give no clue as to what is wrong; they seem
>to think all is well. I?m at my wits end. I have tried rolling back to
>XFree86 4.2. When I do, it tries to come up, but dies because of complaints
>about missing libXft.so.2 and libXrandr.so.2. Does anyone have a CLUE to
>what I should do, short of reinstalling 8.0?

The type of problems you are encountering are not likley
something caused by software bugs.  It is most likely something
caused by hardware or system failure.  Missing libraries like
those you describe above don't just randomly disappear off the
hard disk on a whim out of the blue.

--
Mike A. Harris