Re: OT: xfs vs. freetype

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Andre Costa wrote:

>My system is currently configured to use RH xfs as a font server, and it
>works ok. AFAIK 'freetype' X11 module would be an alternative to it. I
>tried disabling xfs on /etc/X11/XF86Config, but fonts came up big and
>ugly (I didn't go too deep in reconfiguring my stuff). So, my questions
>are:
>
>1. what's the relationship between xfs and freetype?

freetype is a font rasterization library.  xfs is an X11 font
server which uses freetype to rasterize fonts.

>2. what's the relationship between freetype X11 module and Freetype
>[http://freetype.sourceforge.net/] ?

The freetype XFree86 module is the X server alternative to using
xfs to handle truetype fonts.  the freetype module is also linked
to the freetype library.

>3. What are the differences/advantages one offers compared to the other?

They do different things, so it's like comparing apples to
oranges.

--
Mike A. Harris