Re: Dell M991

On 23 Apr 2003, Mike Chambers wrote:

>> My primary monitor is a Del P991, dunno how close it is.  I use
>> it at 1600x1200 @ 85Hz across 4 machines via KVM switch.  I've
>> ran it as high as 1920x1440 with decent results.  I primarily use
>> Radeon hardware, but it's been used with pretty much every brand
>> and model of hardware you can think of with similar results.
>
>SHEESH, what size monitor are YOU using?  On a 17" monitor, 800x600 and
>the next one up is about as good as you can get it, otherwise things are
>way too small, even if changing font sizes and such.

Dell P991 is a 19" Sony Trinitron.  I'm not sure why people get
the misconception that "higher resolution" == "everything is
small".  Some things are smaller, such as icons, etc. and some
applications and whatnot will keep their pixelized size the same
resulting in smaller default after the change.

Nonetheless, you simply change the size of your
icons/fonts/whatever and you have a high resolution desktop with
lots of real estate, which is much more readable and useful.
>From a stock Red Hat Linux installation, I configure to
1600x1200, and then change the size of some things.  In general
however, I find myself making the size of things *smaller* as I
find the defaults way to large.  For terminals anyway, I
maximize them fullscreen and use tabs:

pts/7 mharris@xxx:~$ echo LINES=$LINES COLUMNS=$COLUMNS
LINES=67 COLUMNS=197

The font size is that of a printed book more or less and quite
readable IMHO, and I'm half blind (probably even legally blind
without glasses or contact lenses).

If I could get 85Hz refresh at 1920x1440, and also have it work
with all video hardware, and with my KVM switch, I'd probably use
that instead.