Re: bypass X startup at boot

Assuming you are using GRUB, edit the boot line and append the word
"single" at the end.

This will boot you into single-user mode where you can change the X
configuration by hand.

--Chris

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 16:01, Stephen Liebbe wrote:
> I have set my display setting such that my monitor cannot display the
> resolution/refresh. I cannot access the display setting panel to switch
> back. Is it possible to bypass X startup at boot? What boot parameter allows
> you to do this? I have tried "linux text" and "linux resolution=..." without
> success. I believe these must be only available for install.
>
> I understand about run levels and that what I need to do is to run at a
> lesser one, but don't know how to overide the default setting from the boot
> prompt. Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming you are using GRUB, edit the boot line at startup and append

--
Homepage: http://interclypse.net
Registered Linux user #215241 (http://counter.li.org/)