Re: bypass X startup at boot

Stephen Liebbe wrote:
Sorry, guess I didn't make it clear. I can not log in because my monitor
cannot show the video at the current resolution. It goes black as soon as
the X video driver starts. I can momentarily see the console prompt but I
can not get logged in quick enough before X windows starts and my screen
immediately goes black with the message to choose a different
resolution/refresh rate. I have access only to the boot prompt.

Boot to runlevel 3 instead.

For GRUB (the Red Hat default) select the choice you want to boot, then hit <e> to edit it. select the line that starts "kernel", usually the second one, and hit <e> again. Add a space and a 3 at the end of that line, then <ESC>. Then <b> to continue booting. There are text instructions on each screen that describe the options in case you get stuck.

If using lilo, use <CTRL>+<X> to get to the text prompt. Hit tab to see the possible boot images (same ones in the graphical menu), type the one you want followed by the desired runlevel.
ex:
linux 3

Not you'll boot to text only. Login as root, and fix the X configuration, probably using redhat-config-cfree86.

You can edit also /etc/inittab if you want to change the default runlevel like Ryan suggested. Or edit /etc/grub.conf or etc/lilo.conf and make a "text only" menu option, that adds the runlevel selection, "3" , to the kernel command line.

-Thomas