radeon driver and blanking

I have a radeon mobility 9000 and 4.3.0. The radeon driver doesn't seem
to recover properly from screen blanking (there are several horizontal
white bars with spurious activity around them). It recovers fine from a
suspend however, so I find this strange.

This is on a Dell Inspiron 8200, so after going to a console, and using
Fn-D (blank screen) and waking it up a few times, the display recovers,
and I can go back into X.

I'm not using DRI if it makes a difference (my configs are posted in an
earlier mail about Xv not working).

Cheers,

Eric