Re: XFree86 4.3.0 RPM packages available for your pleasure

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Sergey V. Oudaltsov wrote:

>> Nothing really.  I use these src.rpm's rebuilt in Red Hat Linux
>> 8.0 with zero spec file modifications.  It requires you to
>> upgrade several rebuilt-from-rawhide package dependancies as well
>> though.  I just don't have the time to explain how to do it all
>> to each of the 500 people that will undoubtedly email me though.
>Croud: HOWTO! HOWTO! HOWTO!

If I wanted to write a HOWTO, I wouldn't have said "tough luck"
to 8.0 users in my first email.  It is a tough enough job
maintaining XFree86 on 8 OS releases as it is.  To make my job
more difficult by either backporting every new X release to every
prior Red Hat Linux release, or to write instructions on how to
hack newer X releases into older Red Hat Linux releases would
take a significant amount of my time that I am not willing to
invest.  In the past when I've done so, I have had a lot of user
negativity for things "not working as expected", or being too
complicated for them.

So the answer is:

1) If you can figure out how to make it work in 8.0 or an older
release of Red Hat Linux, great, all the power to you to or
anyone who does so.  It's open source, and people are free to use
the src.rpm however they see fit.  If someone wants to write a
HOWTO on doing this, I also encourage them to do so.

2) Users not capable, or not willing for #1 above, have the
option of using our beta release, or waiting until our new OS is
completed and publically released.  They can use XFree86 4.3.0 in
the new release then and not have to fiddle around or read any
HOWTOs.

>> >2. Is xkbprint fixed(patched) in this release?
>> Check the XFree86 CVS logs and CHANGELOG for complete details.
>
>It is broken in 4.3.0 _release_ - that is why I thought we need some patch in
>RPM...

Have you filed a bug report to XFree86.org about this?  If not,
you can do so by emailing xfree86@xfree86.org.  I am not aware of
any issue with xkbprint.  Ivan Pascal is the person to talk to.

> Or your RPMs are not based on 4.3.0 tarball?

No, my RPMs are never based on XFree86.org's tarballs.  Every Red
Hat Linux XFree86 release uses a single tarball for the main
pristine (unmodified) source code which is named
"XFree86-$version.tar.gz" (or .bz2).  This source tarball is
created by me by doing a pristine CVS export from the master
repository on XFree86.org ala:

cvs export xf-4_3_0 xc

That CVS export is what is also used by XFree86.org to produce
their 4+ individual tarballs for download.  They prefer to
distribute XFree86 in multiple tarballs, whereas from a
distribution maintenance standpoint, one single source tarball is
preferred, which is why I use a CVS export of the stock tagged
sources.

Any Red Hat modificaitons to the stock sources are done strictly
via patching the unmodified XFree86.org sources.

There is no patch being applied to xkbprint that I recall,
however you're free to examine the src.rpm if you prefer. If
there is a bug in it still, and it is reported to the upstream
maintainers, it might get fixed in time.

Hope this helps.