Mouse is much too fast

Hi list!

A few days ago I purchased a Logitech Cordless Desktop Optical and I
experience the following problem:

The mouse (Logitech Cordless MouseMan Optical) is simply moving much too
fast, I had to use the mouse-properties-capplet/xset to adjust
acceleration etc. to make it some kind usable - but it is very hard to
point to a single pixel, using Gimp without high zoom is quite
impossible.
It seems the default resolution of the mouse is simply too high. I tried
the XFree Resolution option but it had no effect - neither in PS/2 nor
in USB mode - although this worked with my old mouse.

Is there any other method that might work for me? Maybe via GPM or
enforcing resolution settings? Or some kind of movement divider within
XFree to divide all movements reported by the mouse by 2, e.g. a source
patch?

Regards,
// Veit

(XFree86 4.2.0 / RedHat 7.3)